The Physicians for Human Rights Student Advisory Board (SAB) is committed to helping ensure the safety, dignity and rights of all Americans, regardless of political affiliation, race, gender, sexual orientation or ethnicity. As we move into significant national administrative changes in 2017, many are seeking ways to speak up and ensure the best care for all patients.
Take Action: Below are a variety of tips and advocacy actions to empower you to learn more and get involved in ensuring equal rights for all Americans: 1. Key leadership appointments. There is concern that several of the Trump Administration’s appointees will not uphold critical human rights issues. Learn more about key leaders here and call your representatives to voice your opinion.
2. Healthcare and the Affordable Care Act. The new administration will likely work toward significant changes in healthcare policy. In addition to encouraging patients to get insurance coverage now (it is more difficult to take insurance away), you can support national efforts to decrease drug costs.
3. Women’s health and reproductive rights. In addition to discussing long-acting reversible contraceptive (LARC) options with patients, urge you representatives to maintain federal funding for Planned Parenthood. You can make financial donations here, and also volunteer as an escort to accompany patients.
4. Immigration. Reach out to local immigrant communities to learn from them. Offer your support by helping write and send letters to your representatives describing the medical effects of deportation.
5. Refugee health. Join or support a PHR student-run asylum program near you, where the physical and psychological sequelae of torture are documented for court review.
6. Climate change and environment. The Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) is a major issue on the immediate horizon. Check out a medical perspective on the demonstrations here.
Call the district (state) office. Rather than write, email, or call your Congressperson’s national office in DC, call the local district office. Insiders agree that this is the best way to make your voice heard. Click here for a quick way to search for your representatives, check out their viewpoints, and give the district office a call to voice your opinions.